Towards Toronto 2012
DABOH is making plans to hold a Conference on “Documentation and Theological Education / Priestly Formation in the 21st Century” at the 2012 IAMS General Assembly at Toronto. This aims to follow up the call at Balaton 2008 to pay greater attention to the theological foundations of documentation. Theological education and priestly formation offer a focus for exploring the ecclesial foundation of documentation, and the place of present-day source material in ministerial formation.
The Programme Design Group consists of:
- Jonathan Bonk, Dictionary of African Christian Biography Project / Overseas Ministries Study Center, New Haven, USA
- Mark Gornik, City Seminary of New York, USA [absent from the Rome Mtg]
- Daniel Jeyaraj, Liverpool Hope University, UK [sbsent from the Rome Mtg]
- Marek Rostkowski, Pontifical Missionary Library, Vatican
- Brian Stanley, New College, Edinburgh University [absent from the Rome Mtg]
- Andrew Walls, Liverpool Hope University, UK
- Jean Paul Wiest, The Beijing Center for Chinese Studies, China
- Michael Poon, CSCA, Trinity Theological College, Singapore (Chair)
Preparatory Meeting, 26-29 May 2010, Rome
Venue: The General House of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, via Aurelia 290, 00165 Rome.
Fr Marek Rostkowski and the Pontifical Missionary Library will host the PDG from Wednesday 26 May evening to Saturday 29 May afternoon to make plans for the Toronto Conference. This Rome meeting also offers an opportunity to strengthen Roman Catholic participation in DABOH. Most members of the PDG are attending the Edinburgh 2010 Conference in June, and so are able to make this side-trip to Rome. Accommodation and meals at Rome are subsidized by the General House of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Participants bear the cost of travel and 120 euros for the stay at Rome.
Wednesday 26 May 2010
- Evening session 20:00-21:00 Welcome
Thursday 27 May 2010
- Morning session: Introduction: Documentation and Theological education/priestly formation. Presentation by Andrew Walls, “Structural problems in Protestant documentation projects: is there an ecclesial deficit?” Download audio file (66 M)
- Afternoon session: Understanding RC approaches (presentations and discussions with Catholic colleagues): Fr. Ab. Dom Michael John Zielinski, O.S.B. Oliv. “Ecclesiastical Archives and the Memory of God’s People”. Fr Ab Dom Michael Zielinski is Vice President of the Pontifical Commission for Cultural Heritage of the Church.
Friday 28 May 2010
- Morning session: Visit (Pontifical Missionary Library and Archive of “Propaganda Fide” and the Jesuit’s General Archive)
- Afternoon session: Presentations and Discussion
Saturday 29 May 2010
- Morning session: Presentations and Discussion
- Afternoon: Departure